What is PUWER and how does it affect you...?
Put simply PUWER is an abbreviation that stands for;
Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 (1999 in Northern Ireland).The regulations deal with the work equipment and machinery used every day in work places and aims to keep people safe wherever equipment and machinery is used at work.
These Regulations place duties on people and companies who own, operate or have control over work equipment. PUWER also places responsibilities on businesses and organisations whose employees use work equipment, whether owned by them or not.
In essence ‘work equipment’ means any equipment, machinery, appliance, apparatus, tool or installation used in a work application. In the waste management industry the scope of this definition will clearly include major items such as balers, compactors, bin presses, bottle crushers, food waste processors etc. irrespective of size. It will also include any lifting devices such as pallet trucks, fork lifts, bin lifts.
However the definition from PUWER will also extend to ‘minor’ items including ‘toolbox tools’, measurement apparatus, ladders and more.
PUWER requires that...
PUWER requires that equipment provided for use at work is:
- Suitable for the intended use.
- Safe for use, maintained in a safe condition and inspected to ensure it is correctly installed and does not subsequently deteriorate.
- Only used by people who have received adequate information, instruction and training.
- Accompanied by suitable Health & Safety measures, such as protective devices and controls. These will normally include emergency stop devices, adequate means of isolation from sources of energy, clearly visible markings and warning devices.
- Used in accordance with specific requirements, for mobile work and power presses.
Some work equipment is subject to other health and safety legislation in addition to PUWER. For example, lifting equipment must also meet the requirements of LOLER, pressure equipment must meet the Pressure Systems Safety Regulations and Personal Protective Equipment must meet the PPE Regulations.
PUWER and how it affects you...
"PUWER is one piece of legislation you can't choose or afford to ignore"
PUWER is far reaching legislation that affects anyone and everyone, employers, employees, and contractors alike, in fact anyone using 'work equipment'.
The definition of 'work equipment' is just as far reaching and covers everything from major equipment items such as balers and compactors, right down to tool box items, ladders, access platforms and even tasks involving manual handling.
In essence PUWER covers all aspects of work life and is there to ensure the Health & Safety and well-being of everyone involved. At Waste Equipment Services we have an in-depth knowledge of PUWER and offer all the services you require to ensure your full PUWER COMPLIANCE.
PUWER and how we can help ...
At Waste Equipment Services we are working continually to ensure that our clients are not only aware of their responsibilities under PUWER but also to ensure their full compliance, whether that be on equipment we have supplied or already installed.
Through our group associations we are able to help in the following ways to ensure your compliance:
- If we supply you with equipment we will always ensure it is fit for purpose and suitable for the intended use.
- Through our servicing and repair department we can ensure that your regular servicing is up to date and that the equipment is safe to use and fully complaint (Including LOLER Certification if required).
- Through our sister company we can ensure that all your training requirements are fully met and that your staff are appropriately trained to ensure full PUWER COMPLIANCE.